thewoodturningshop.com is a site operated by The Woodturning Shop Ltd.
We are registered in England and Wales under company number 12763030 and with our registered office at Garthowen, Alton Lane, Four Marks, Hampshire, GU34 5AJ.
Our main trading address is: Garthowen Garden Centre, Alton Lane, Four Marks, Hampshire, GU34 5AJ
Our VAT number is 353 4847 81.
Your personal data will be used to provide the information, goods and services offered through our website to you, for billing and order fulfillment.
- If you sign up to our newsletter or mailing list, we will use your email address to send you information about our products or services that may be related to a purchase you have made.
- You can opt out of these at any point and you can ask for personal data to stop being recorded at any time.
Cookies & monitoring
- Strictly necessary cookies – These are cookies that are essential to the operation of our website.
- Analytical/performance cookie – These cookies allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors to our website.
- Functionality cookies – These cookies are used to recognise you when you return to our website.
- Targeting Cookies – These cookies record your visit to our website, the pages you have visited and the links you have followed.
We may monitor traffic to our site and collect the following information:
- The IP address of your computer.
- The referring website from which you have got to our website from.
The reasons for this are:
- To make ongoing improvements to our website based on this data.
- To see our most popular sources of business.
In accordance to the new GDPR which came into effect in May 2018, here is the core information on how The Woodturning Shop processes your data, and what data I hold:
- What Information is Collected From Website Visitors: ip addresses, device information, access information, cookies, visit duration and tracking, email address, phone, name, shipping address and billing addresses, purchased products and mailing list signed up to;
- How and Where the Personal Information Is Processed: If you have made a purchase through this website: The data held is held on the payment website (PayPal if you make a purchase from this website), your purchase information, name, addresses, email address and phone number are stored in your account on this website and is also transferred for the legal recording financial transactions on our accounting software called Xero. The information is also used for internal sales reporting to assist with the development of the business. Occasionally, your name and email address, as well as purchase history will be used to send marketing messages to you.
- If you signed up to an email newsletter on this website: We only have details of your first name, last name and email address. This is only stored on this website for use in the marketing campaigns, email newsletters and important information.
- Who Has Access to This Personal Data: Staff of The Woodturning Shop have access to the information on this website to facilitate orders and tuition bookings. PayPal have access to financial transactions via their website, and our accountant has access to the data for use in preparation of company accounts and day to day running of the business through the accounting software ‘Xero’.
- Contact Details of the Assigned Data Protection Officer: Martin Saban-Smith. Contact via email HERE, or write to Martin Saban-Smith, The Woodturning Shop, Garthowen Garden Centre, Alton Lane, Four Marks, Hampshire. GU34 5AJ. Call 01420 560077.
- How to Lodge a Data Subject Access Request: You can request your personal data by contacting us via the website requesting your information. You will then receive an email with information on how to access your data.
- How Long is Your Personal Information Held: Legally, we have to hold details of financial transactions for seven years in accordance to HMRC regulations after the date of the transaction. Other, non-financial details will be held on this website until you request they are deleted or you cease to interact with the website when they will be deleted within 12 months of your last interaction.
The products on this website come from a variety of sources both in the UK and overseas. Some products are considered to be hazardous and should be kept away from children at all times and the user of the product should follow the guidelines on the packaging regarding correct use, and the use of personal protection equipment. We cannot be held liable for improper use of any of the products.
Items of merchandise are printed to order and dispatched directly to you from there. Shipping costs for merchandise may be calculated separately from regular shipping costs.
As far as is possible, products images are colour corrected for accurate rendition on your viewing device. However, given variances beyond our control, the colour of the item you receive may differ from that seen on screen.
Some products on this website may occasionally show as ‘On Backorder’. This means we do not have stock at present but will order the product(s) in specially for you. As such, this requires payment at the time of ordering. The length of time this takes is generally not more than two weeks any usually for more expensive items, but is not limited to this.
Orders containing backordered products will be held back until the backordered item arrives, after which the whole order will be sent. If you would like the order split, shipping costs will apply for the items in the order to be sent ahead of the backordered item.
Bookings for group courses are paid at the time of booking and subject to a minimum of FOUR student bookings in order to run. You are welcome to book a single place on any of the group courses and join others who are booked on. However, we reserve the right to change your booking to another suitable date if the minimum required number is not reached 7 days in advance of the date booked. Should this occur, we will contact you with alternative dates. If a convenient date cannot be agreed upon, we will be happy to refund your booking fee or offer you shop credit to use at your leisure in the shop..
Bookings for 1-1 tuition are to be made using the booking facilities at www.thewoodturningshop.com. This ensures you receive the necessary emails and information pertinent to your booking. The booking will be confirmed after availability has been checked externally from the website in domestic diaries. Following confirmation, the full balance of the tuition cost is payable. Your confirmation email will provide you with links to do this using the secure services of PayPal (a PayPal account is not required for this).
Following payment, you will receive a formal confirmation email and then, one week before your lesson, joining instructions will be emailed to you together with other pertinent information.
Remote Tuition Bookings Terms & Conditions
- Liability Disclaimer and Workshop Safety:
- Usual and best practice workshop safety rules shall apply at all times during your lesson including the wearing of PPE by both parties appropriate to the lesson and tasks being undertaken, including the wearing of face shields when the lathe is running and dust masks when sanding. Where possible, extraction should also be used. Other Health and Safety requirements may be given to you during the lesson which you must adhere to.
- The Woodturning Shop reserves the right to terminate the lesson with immediate effect should you fail, at any time during the lesson, to adhere to the health and safety guidelines given to you during the lesson. In this event, no refund will be given.
- Given the remote nature of your booking, you understand that you are entirely responsible for your own workshop safety, handling of all tools, quality of timber, PPE, and further understand that The Woodturning Shop cannot be held liable for any injury or accidents that may occur during the session as a result of your own actions after following visual and/or verbal instructions given to you due to the remote nature of the lesson.
- Internet Connection Quality:
- In the event of an unstable internet connection leaving the workshop at any time during the lesson, is unsuitable to continue, you will be offered a new booking for the same length of time as the original booking, or a refund of the monies paid equal to the amount of time not completed during the lesson calculated to the nearest minute.
- Should the internet connection to your workshop be insufficient to stream the lesson or the tutor is not able to clearly see your webcam picture or hear your audio, an alternative booking time will be offered. If, after the second attempt, the connection speed to or from your workshop remains insufficient, the booking will be declared impossible and a refund of the monies paid equal to the amount of lesson time not completed, calculated to the nearest minute will be made to you less a 20% Set-Up fee for the two failed lessons that were not the fault of The Woodturning Shop
- Recording of the Lesson:
- A recording of the lesson may be made and made available to you for a period of one week following the end of the lesson. The above terms and conditions continue to apply during this time. You are not permitted to save it to any storage facility or device, nor make it available to others to view either via any link provided, nor on social media or otherwise.
Cancellation in All Cases
If you Cancel:
If you cancel your booking two weeks or more prior to the start date of your course, a cancellation fee of 50% will be payable and (in the case of tuition) the remaining 50% will be refunded to you. If you cancel two weeks or less prior to the booked date, all monies paid will be forfeit and in the case of demonstrations, the full balance will be due. If you need to reschedule your booking, we will do our best to accommodate your suggested date, but it will be subject to availability at that time. If no suitable date can be agreed upon, the booking shall be deemed as cancelled and the above cancellation fees/refunds will apply.
If we Cancel:
We reserve the right to cancel courses at any time up to four weeks prior in advance. Should we have to cancel your lesson, you will be offered an alternative date or a full refund of all monies paid.
Please do not make travel arrangements or bookings for overnight accommodation until at least TWO weeks prior to the course date. We cannot reimburse you for any expenses incurred in the event of cancellation other than those for the course itself.
Visiting the Workshop
We have a very active social media presence and post a lot of photographs and videos of day to day life in and around the workshop. If you are visiting the workshop or physical shop either as a customer, socially, student or otherwise, your image and/or voice may be captured by smart phone, video or stills camera, CCTV or other such recording device.
You will be asked your permission for your image to be posted on our social media sites, including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter or YouTube and also any marketing material. Any image or recording used will be used in a positive way to promote the workshop and will not, in any way be defamatory to you.
Should anyone under the age of 16 be in the workshop, they are to be accompanied by a responsible adult who can make decisions on that child’s image/recording being used in marketing/promotional/social media material.
In all cases of photography or media capture of your voice or image that will be used specifically for marketing purposes (excluding general social media posts), you will be required to complete and sign a model release form.
Right to Cancel Product Purchases
You have the right to cancel the purchase of goods without having to give a reason at any time within the “cooling off period” of fourteen days, beginning on the day after you receive the goods.
If you are in possession of the goods, you have a duty to retain them and take reasonable care of them. You must send the goods back to us to our contact address at your own cost (unless we delivered the item to you in error or the item is damaged or defective) as soon as possible once you have canceled the contract.
We reserve the right to make a charge not exceeding our direct costs of recovering the goods if you do not return the goods or return them at our expense.
Once you have notified us that you wish to cancel the contract, any sum debited to us will be refunded to you as soon as possible and in any event within 30 days of your cancellation after we have received the goods back in saleable condition.
You will not have any right to cancel a purchase for the supply of any of the following:
- for the supply of goods the price of which is dependent on fluctuations in the financial market which cannot be controlled by the retailer.
- for the supply of goods made to your specifications or clearly personalised or which by reason of their nature cannot be returned or are liable to deteriorate or expire rapidly.
- following the opening and/or use of the product from within the container. Any goods returned must be in a sealed, unopened, unused condition and suitable for resale.
- for the supply of audio or video recordings or computer software if they are unsealed or downloaded by you.
All notices you send us must be sent to the contact details on this site. We may give notice to you at either the email or postal address you provide to us when making a purchase. (Notice will be deemed received and properly served 24 hours after an email is sent or three days after the date of posting of any letter.) In providing the service of any notice, it will be sufficient to prove, in the case of a letter, that the letter was properly addressed, stamped and placed in the post and, in the case of an email that the email was sent to the specified email address of the addressees.
These terms are governed by English law. Any contract for the purchase of goods from this site and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with any such contract will be governed by English law. You and we both agree that the courts of England and Wales will have non-exclusive jurisdiction. However, if you are a resident in Northern Ireland you may also bring proceedings in Northern Ireland, and if you are a resident in Scotland you may also bring proceedings in Scotland.